Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2009

Retro: Canned Heat - Going Up The Country

Canned Heat is a blues-rock/boogie band that formed in Los Angeles in 1965. The group has been noted for its own interpretations of blues material as well as for efforts to promote the interest in this type of music and its original artists. It was launched by two blues enthusiasts, Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, who took the name from Tommy Johnson's 1928 "Canned Heat Blues", a song about an alcoholic who had desperately turned to drinking Sterno, generically called "canned heat". After appearances at Monterey and Woodstock, at the end of the '60s the band acquired worldwide fame with a lineup consisting of Bob Hite, vocals, Alan Wilson guitar, harmonica and vocals, Henry Vestine (or Harvey Mandel) on lead guitar, Larry Taylor on bass, and Adolfo ('Fito') de la Parra on drums....

Their third album, "Living the Blues", which included their best known song "Going Up the Country", was released in 1969:



Lyrics:
-I'm going up the country, babe don't you wanna go
-I'm going up the country, babe don't you wanna go
-I'm going to some place where I've never been before
-I'm going, I'm going where the water tastes like wine
-Well I'm going where the water tastes like wine
-We can jump in the water, stay drunk all the time
-I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away
-I'm gonna leave this city, got to get away
-All this fussing and fighting, man, you know I sure can't stay
-Now baby, pack your leaving trunk, you know we've got to leave today
-Just exactly where we're going I cannot say, but
-We might even leave the USA
-'Cause there's a brand new game that I want to play
-No use of you running, or screaming and crying
-'Cause you've got a home as long as I've got mine

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen